Welcome to our After School Counselor Resume Example article! Whether you are a recent college graduate or an experienced professional looking to switch careers, you need a resume that will highlight your qualifications for this specialized position. Our After School Counselor Resume Example article will provide you with tips to help create a resume that will make you stand out from the competition. With our advice and example, you will be one step closer to landing the perfect job.
We will cover:
What does an After School Counselor do?
A After School Counselor is responsible for working with students in grades K-12 in a school setting. They provide educational, social, and emotional support to students, help students set and reach academic goals, and create and oversee after school programs. They are also responsible for developing and leading activities, such as sports and arts. Additionally, they often provide guidance and mentorship to students and develop relationships with parents and school staff.
- Instructor Resume Sample
- Experienced Kindergarten Teacher Resume Sample
- Lecturer Resume Sample
- Admissions Coordinator Resume Sample
- Curriculum Director Resume Sample
- Dance Instructor Resume Sample
- Dance Teacher Resume Sample
- Camp Director Resume Sample
- Behavioral Specialist Resume Sample
- Behavior Specialist Resume Sample
- Counselor Resume Sample
- Child Life Specialist Resume Sample
- Academic Coach Resume Sample
- Academic Coordinator Resume Sample
- Academic Tutor Resume Sample
- Admissions Manager Resume Sample
- Admissions Representative Resume Sample
- After School Counselor Resume Sample
- After School Teacher Resume Sample
- Art Teacher Resume Sample
What are some responsibilities of an After School Counselor?
- Develop and implement appropriate activities for children of various ages and interests
- Supervise and monitor the safety of the children in the after school program
- Provide guidance and support to children in areas such as academics, social behavior, and emotional development
- Assist with homework, tutoring, and other educational activities
- Organize and lead recreational activities, such as sports, games, and arts and crafts
- Work with other staff to plan and implement special events and activities
- Communicate and collaborate with parents, teachers, and other professionals to ensure the needs of the children are met
- Maintain records of each child’s attendance and progress
Sample After School Counselor Resume for Inspiration
After School Counselor
- Name: Jane Doe
- Address: 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA
- Phone: (123) 456-7890
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jane Doe is an experienced After School Counselor who is passionate about helping children reach their full potential. She has a strong background in child development, education, and mental health. Jane has worked with a diverse range of children and families in various settings and has a proven ability to build relationships and provide support. Work Experience:
- After School Counselor, ABC School, Anytown, USA (2018-present)
- Assist students with homework and academic activities
- Provide emotional and social support to students
- Develop and implement after-school programs and activities
- Lead group activities to promote positive peer relationships
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Anytown University, Anytown, USA (2014)
- Master of Education in Counseling, Anytown University, Anytown, USA (2016)
- Child development
- Mental health
- Conflict resolution
- Organizational skills
- Child Development Associate (CDA) Certification
- Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) Certification
- English (Native)
- Spanish (Fluent)
Resume tips for After School Counselor
Creating a perfect, career-launching resume is no easy task. Following general writing rules can help, but it is also smart to get advice tailored to your specific job search. When you’re new to the employment world, you need After School Counselor resume tips.
We collected the best tips from seasoned After School Counselor - Check out their advice to not only make your writing process easier but also increase your chances of creating a resume that piques the interest of prospective employers.
- Highlight relevant experience and skills that match the job description.
- Include relevant certifications, such as a degree in counseling or social work.
- Include volunteer work if you have any, as it shows your commitment to the profession.
- Include any special training or certifications you have in child development, social work, or counseling.
- Include any awards or recognition you have received for your work as an after school counselor.
After School Counselor Resume Summary Examples
A resume summary or resume objective is an essential part of your resume as a school counselor. It provides potential employers with a brief overview of your qualifications, experience, and skills related to the job you are applying for. It is also a great way to capture the attention of the employer and demonstrate why you are the ideal candidate for the position. By using a resume summary or objective, you can highlight why you are the best fit for the job and why you would excel in the role.
- Experienced After School Counselor with 10 years of experience in supervising, guiding and providing academic support for children. Committed to creating a safe and supportive learning environment.
- Highly experienced After School Counselor with a passion for helping children reach their full potential. Skilled in developing positive relationships with students and creating engaging activities.
- Knowledgeable After School Counselor with 8 years of experience providing academic and social support to students. Proficient in developing and implementing fun and educational activities.
- Dedicated After School Counselor with 6 years of experience creating an encouraging and positive learning environment for students. Skilled in providing academic and social support.
- Skilled After School Counselor with 5 years of experience creating engaging activities for children. Experienced in providing academic and social support and developing positive relationships with students.
Build a Strong Experience Section for Your After School Counselor Resume
Building a strong experience section for an after school counselor resume is important to demonstrate your qualifications and experience in the field. This section should include information such as the specific duties and responsibilities you have held, the organizations you have worked for, and the results you have achieved. It should also provide evidence of your knowledge of the field and your ability to work with children and families. The experience section should highlight your skills and accomplishments, and demonstrate why you are the best candidate for the job. It is also important to include any additional certificates or qualifications you have to support your qualifications.
- Developed and implemented activities to facilitate the physical, mental and emotional development of children.
- Instructed and monitored children in the use of materials and equipment in a safe manner.
- Developed relationships with parents and provided advice and guidance on the development of their children.
- Maintained a safe environment for children by implementing rules and regulations.
- Encouraged children to be creative, think independently and solve problems.
- Supervised and assisted with homework, organization and behavior management.
- Maintained a positive learning environment for children by providing guidance and support.
- Fostered an environment of trust, friendship and respect among all members of the team.
- Organized and facilitated group activities and field trips.
- Provided a safe and supportive environment for children to have fun and learn.
After School Counselor resume education example
A After School Counselor typically needs at least a bachelor’s degree in psychology, counseling, social work, education, or a related field. In addition, many states require After School Counselors to have a teaching certification or license. Counselors should also have experience working with children and understand the unique challenges they may face.
Here is an example of an experience listing suitable for a After School Counselor resume:
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of California, San Francisco, CA (2018)
- Master of Education in Educational Counseling, University of California, San Francisco, CA (2020)
- Certified After School Counselor, National After School Counselor Association (2020)
After School Counselor Skills for a Resume
It is important to add skills for an After School Counselor Resume because it can help employers distinguish the level of experience and knowledge of the candidate. Skills should reflect the particular qualifications and abilities that the employer is looking for in an After School Counselor. Examples of skills that may be included in an After School Counselor Resume include excellent organizational and communication skills, knowledge of child development and behavior, ability to develop and provide quality programming and activities, and knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
- Interpersonal Skills
- Communication Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Problem Solving
- Conflict Resolution
- Time Management
- Organizational Skills
- Communication Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Data Analysis
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Advocacy Skills
- Behavioral Modification
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Writing an After School Counselor Resume
In this competitive job market, employers receive an average of 180 applications for each open position. To process these resumes, companies often rely on automated applicant tracking systems, which can sift through resumes and eliminate the least qualified applicants. If your resume is among the few that make it past these bots, it must still impress the recruiter or hiring manager. With so many applications coming in, recruiters typically give each resume only 5 seconds of their attention before deciding whether to discard it. Considering this, it's best to avoid including any distracting information on your application that could cause it to be thrown away. To help make sure your resume stands out, review the list below of what you should not include on your job application.
- Not including a cover letter. A cover letter is a great way to explain why you are the best candidate for the job and why you want the position.
- Using too much jargon. Hiring managers do not want to read a resume full of technical terms that they do not understand.
- Omitting important details. Make sure to include your contact information, educational background, job history, and any relevant skills and experiences.
- Using a generic template. Take the time to customize your resume to the job you are applying for. This will show the employer that you are serious about the position.
- Spelling and grammar errors. Always double-check your resume for typos, spelling mistakes, and grammar errors.
- Focusing too much on duties. Make sure to include accomplishments and successes to show the employer that you are a great candidate.
- Including personal information. Avoid including any personal information such as age, marital status, or religious beliefs.
Key takeaways for a After School Counselor resume
- Highlight accomplishments, such as planning and implementing successful youth programs.
- Describe your experience working with children and adolescents.
- Detail any certifications or specialized training you have completed related to working with young people.
- Mention any relevant coursework you have taken in psychology, child development, or social work.
- Demonstrate your ability to interact effectively with students and their families.
- Showcase your ability to develop meaningful relationships with students.
- Discuss any experience you have providing guidance on academic and social issues.
- Demonstrate your ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks.
- Highlight any experience you have collaborating with teachers and other school personnel.
- Discuss how you have worked to create a safe and supportive learning environment.
- Detail any experience you have working with diverse populations.
It's time to begin the job search. Make sure you put your best foot forward and land your next job with the help of Resumaker.ai.